Recent Posts

2.26.2009

Regurgitation

In second grade my mom and dad were told during parent teacher conferences that my biggest issue was that I didn't follow directions. When given a coloring sheet with a scarecrow and pumpkin on it, I had "scribbled" all over the page and did not color within the lines as instructed. When they asked me about it, I told them that I had done it on purpose because scarecrows are messy and have hay hanging out all over the place and how could I make it look realistic if I drew inside the lines?
Fast forward a few years.
I just got a case study/memo back that I barely remember doing during lunch the day it was due and guess what my grade was; an A+. Whether or not they even give out pluses in grad school is beside the point. The point is that I put absolutely no creative thought or inventive ideas into that paper and I still managed to get a perfect grade on it. How did I do that?
I followed directions.
No really, that's all I did. I was told before turning in the assignment that the prof would be grading on whether or not we answer all of the questions he asked in the assignment outline. That's it. So all I did was answer every single question asked on the sheet. I put it in a standard essay format (into, supporting paragraphs, conclusion), used perfect citations and boom: an A+ assignment was born. The professor even took the time to TELL me how great my paper was.
Seriously? Nothing has changed. I'm still simply being rewarded for "coloring inside the lines."
Since the semester started, I've been trying to stay positive and open about the class but I'm getting to my breaking point. Mykala recently wrote about what she learned from her liberal arts education and how it exposed her to new schools of thought and to individuals who were "who were seeking truths— both absolute and personal."
I feel as though in higher education it should be expected that students should be seeking the truth but in this class that has not been my experience. Instead, it is expected that one regurgitate established theories in a specific context and in order to get a good grade.
So, I figure I have two options: quit because this program is so ridiculously easy or apply for the full masters (I'm in a grad. certificate program right now) because it is so ridiculously easy that it would be a crime not to do the whole thing.
Application, here I come.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten in trouble for coloring inside the lines, but only after complaining that the lines were inadequate and making revisions to improve them.
Of course, majoring in philosophy didn't really help break me of that. It's a good thing I found work at a place where that is both encouraged and rewarded.

PS: Good to see you made the right decision there at the end.

Anonymous said...

How unbelievably frustrating. But I think you're right: Take advantage of this because EVENTUALLY, your ability to think creatively will become an asset. Even if it's not fully recognized now.

WoWo said...

dooooooooooooo iiiiiittttt doooo iiiittttt do it do it do it! May be if you do it with your sexy eyes at every cute boy in each class it will make the time go by faster

Anonymous said...

I always tell my students that if they write something I've heard before (same old argument or discussion about the text) or simply regurgitate class notes, it's a C paper. Impress me, wow me, tell me something I don't know. I think you should trust your gut on this one and find a program that is challenging.

Anonymous said...

MFA! MFA!Or _something_ that you find challenging and enriching...

Forget getting a Master's that means nothing to you just for the sake of having a graduate degree. You're better than that!

But that's just what I think. :)

El Vato Suave said...

I, too, revise the lines. Only I rarely complain about them being inadequate. I just change them. Sometimes people notice, but most don't.
JMW

Anonymous said...

Dingo: That's not fair. Regurgitation is a C, but thinking for yourself and not managing to come up with anything more original than students through the ages is worth a B. Unless, of course, you're teaching Doctoral candidates.

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.