Recent Posts

1.29.2009

Ebbiversary

OK so once in a while I mention Ebbie but I generally don't gush because I don't want to sound like a crazy cat lady. This post is the exception...

Two years ago I decided I wanted a cat so I found an endearingly ugly little diluted tortie on petfinder, packed up my roommates and headed off to the humane society. The minute I picked up that cat I knew it wasn't meant to be mine so up and down the aisles of cages we went, peering in at sad little whiskers and noses. One after another was brought out for me to hold and play with but none felt right. Then, in the bottom right corner beind thin metal bars a small black cat with white paws and a milk mustache stood up and cried at me. "I think that cat is talking to me," I whispered.
"I think you're a little bit crazy," my roommate whispered back. While I was olding her in the crowded room a boy with Downs, about 12 years old, came up to me and asked, "Is that your cat?"
"Not yet but I think I'm going to keep her."
"Good," he said decisively. "It's a good cat. That is a very good cat. Very good." And that was that. As I signed the papers a volunteer came up and tapped me on the shoulder. He thanked me for picking that pint sized tuxedo cat and told me that because of her age (she was 6 at the time) and because she had been in the shelter so long she was on the schedule to be put down soon. Her past owners had gotten a kitten and when Ebbie didn't get along with the newcomer she was shipped off to the humane society. Whatever doubts I'd had before disappeared and we packed up and headed home.

1/28/07-Busted napping on Ebbie's first day home, she was already attached to my side
Before I even knew that T.S. Eliot insists all cats must have three names, Ebbie had already morphed into Ebony Fifi Manolo which to this day is what gets shouted when she has one of her naughty moments. For the most part she is the sweetest six pound creature you will ever meet and and has turned quite a few cat-haters into lovers.
She meets me at the door, licks my forehead when I'm sick, and sleeps tucked under my arm next to my chest like a teddy bear. When I talk to myself she cocks her head to the side. If I am sitting, she is in my lap. She runs to the door to greet me when I come home and gives me an earful about having left her. I can't move from room to room without my black shadow behind me and underfoot but I wouldn't have it any other way.

1/28/09-Still my little snuggle bug

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a doll! So glad you two found each other.

WoWo said...

I'm glad you now know what it's like to be so attached to a little creature. Keep plenty of memories of your times together so you can remember forever.

Cathryn said...

She is such a sweet kitty. If I didn't have allergies, I might Ebbie-nap her. Although I'm sure she would escape and find her way back to you.

Hyacinth said...

She sounds like an absolutely delightful cat and smart one too for choosing you to be her new Mommy :) Love it when older cats get adopted, especially from shelters!

Cal said...

She is a doll, Sal! Like literally, she is pretty much my teddy bear when I go to bed...

Oh Sister...I love every second of being with her. I wish she could have met Randall...they would have been such a handsome pair :)

Haha, Cat--Kels is the exact same way! She always takes her allergy meds before coming over so she can put her face on Ebs' little belly.

Thanks for stopping by, Hyacinth! She is definitely the one who picked me...the cats know best!

Andhari said...

cuteness..

Nick McGivney said...

Yeah, it's kinda hard to see from the photos just what Ebbie gets out of it. But when you get top drawer advice from a 12 year old who knows his stuff, you have to do as instructed. This post is making me yawn... but only in the most delightfully unbored way. Now I think I might even stretttchhh... aah. Thanks Ebbie, and, er whatshername you were most truly unlucky to fall in with. :)

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.