Recent Posts

7.01.2008

Bless ME

When someone sneezes I say, "Bless you," without even thinking about it. To not say it would take a conscious effort but here at the office, I seem to be in the minority. No one has ever said it to me when I've sneezed here and it makes me feel lonely in a way. During my travels I noticed that many other countries say nothing when someone sneezes (Spain for example) but this is Minnesota for cripes sake! People are supposed to be nice here. So, since it is so automatic for me to say something when I hear an ACHOO and no one says it for me I have taken to saying, "Bless me" in the silence that follows my sneezes. Its not quite the same, so maybe if you ever randomly think of it during the day you could send me a mental "Bless you!" just to make sure I'm covered. That would be great. Thank you in advance.

2 comments:

Cal said...

OK I know I JUST posted this but I feel the need to comment that one of my co-workers just sneezed so loudly I thought her kidney might have come loose. Don't worry, I walked over to make sure she was ok and give her the proper "Bless you."

Anonymous said...

The thing is that for Minnesotans 'nice' means polite, defined negatively (i.e. what not to do). They'll do anything to avoid giving offense, and won't say anything when they don't like what you're doing, but they also won't say anything ever. If you're looking for really helpful people, you should go to Australia. But that's all a discourse for another time and place.

I'll make a point to remember when I sneeze to send some blessing your way. Hopefully that'll balance things out a bit for you.
MJI

PS- That sounds like my kind of sneeze! Might as well get it over the first time, I say.

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.