Recent Posts

8.18.2009

Artwork for sale

On my fridge I have some stunning original artwork that was commissioned this spring. No, really. My 6 year old neighbor is quite the artist. And entrepreneur. Sitting outside in her lawn at a plastic Fischer Price table she was coloring and had a sign up that read, "Art: 5¢" I was impressed. When I was her age I was selling lemonade and braided friendship bracelets, never anything as classy as art.
"Hey, Jessie," I called from my front steps. "Cool idea, selling art. How did you think of it?"

She smiled sweetly and said, "My best friend Caitlyn is selling lemonade and she wouldn't let me help so I told her that was a stupid idea and I bet her I could make more money than she could so now I'm selling art. And I'm already beating her. My uncle paid me $2.00 for one drawing." Looking across the street I saw Caitlyn sitting at her lemonade stand, arms crossed, glaring while Jesse drew.

With my hand on my stomach to hold back my laughter I said, "I'll grab my wallet." We negotiated a deal for specially commissioned drawings for 25¢ a piece and $1.00 later I had enough to cover the bottom door on my refrigerator.
Her mom stepped out on their porch in the middle of our dealings and said, "You don't have to do that, you know."

"Are you kidding?" I scoffed. "I'm a very serious patron of the arts."

1 comments:

Kristie said...

I'd make sure you get those autographed. I see an "Apprentice" appearance in her future. What a smart kid!

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.