Recent Posts

4.22.2009

"I want..."

Recently I posted a quote from Saving Grace that rang true to me. "I want to be the mystery in the room..." Ah, I still love it!
Believe it or not, I've found another monologue on network TV that was beautiful, touching and is still stuck in my head days later. It is the college essay of Tyra on Friday Night Lights. I've included the text but listening to the sound bite of the character reading it herself is even more moving.


"Two years ago, I was afraid of wanting anything. I figured wanting would lead to trying and trying would lead to failure. But now I find I can't stop wanting. I want to fly somewhere on first class. I want to travel to Europe on a business trip. I want to get invited to the White House. I want to learn about the world. I want to surprise myself. I want to be important. I want to be the best person I can be. I want to define myself instead of having others define me. I want to win and have people be happy for me. I want to lose and get over it. I want to not be afraid of the unknown. I want to grow up and be generous and big hearted, the way people have been with me. I want an interesting and surprising life. It's not that I think I'm going to get all these things, I just want the possibility of getting them. College represents possibility. The possibility that things are going to change. I can't wait."

2 comments:

Andhari said...

I have a lot of things I want too. This is certainly motivating :)

Nick McGivney said...

They all sound great. Except the European business trip. I lodged a cheque (okay, okay, check) in my work account today. THAT was a European business trip for me. Wadn't all that. Just saying.

:D

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.