Recent Posts

4.09.2009

Adoption

So with all of the babies being born (another set of twins announced at the office and two other pregnancies became apparent after writing earlier this week), I was feeling out of the loop. Now slow down, I'm not ready to have a child myself but feeling the need to nurture and call something my own I'm taking another route: adoption. WAIT...again, slow down. I'm not adopting a child. Or a pet. I've already done that. The pet part, not the child part. Ok now I need to slow down... I think I'm getting confusing in my excitement to make this announcement so I'll just get right to it:

I adopted the word "boscaresque."

Now I'm sure you have several questions probably including, but not limited to, "What does 'boscaresque' mean?" "How does one adopt a word?" "What are the responsibilities of the adopter?"

SLOW DOWN, PEOPLE! How many times do I have to say it? I'll answer your (probable) questions one by one.

1) Definition: adj, picturesque; scenically wooded.
Example sentence from the dictionary: Despite northern England's industrial pollution, parts of it remain boscaresque.
Example sentence from my brain: Despite the mildewy pile of bags full of leaves that never got taken to the dump last fall because Caley was too lazy to borrow her dad's truck and then it showed so they were stuck there for a few months and have now become soggy and soppy and gross, parts of the yard at The Stanford House remain boscaresque.
2) One adopts a word by having cool friends like @skeddy77 (who adopted the word "starrify") who tell you about http://savethewords.org/. Then, you go to the Save the Words and select a word that speaks to your soul. It'll probably say something like "Adopt me! Love me! Take me home with you!" but sometimes the words speak quietly so listen up.
3) Once you have adopted a word like boscaresque, you must use it as often as possible when speaking, writing, signing, texting, and whatever other forms of communication you use.

Oh and you get a freakin cool certificate, too. If they drew some evergreens on it I'd even say it is boscaresque. (See that? I'm an amazing word parent.)

4 comments:

Sara said...

Oh yayyyyy!!! Do you think our little words will get along? We should arrange a play-date for them.

Kristen said...

Whose pregnant??

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! I'll have to troll around for a word to call my own ...

Sharon S said...

Hi there-wow, thats a unique idea, good for you!!

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.