Recent Posts

3.18.2009

UNSUBSCRIBE me please.

I keep getting emails from some research company and I have no idea how they got my work email.

Ok actually that is lie...when I was at a conference in Chicago this winter I got suckered into dropping my business card in a bunch of those glass fish bowls venders put on their tables with promises of really great drawings for prizes like a soft leather bag or a trip for two or a candy bar. The candy bar gets me every time.

Anyway these emails are really starting to get to me because every time I see the little notification that I have mail I get excited and start thinking, "Someone loves me! Maybe it is a coworker emailing me the link to an awesome but overpriced bracelet we both wish we could afford. Or my dad offering to cook me a lobster feast this weekend. Or my boss offering me a raise!" Because all of those things do happen. (Except for the raise part; that hasn't yet but I'm all about the power of positive thinking so I thought I'd throw it in there.)

So here I am, all worked up about what gem of an email is waiting for me in my box and what do I see instead? "Understand your donors and set new fund raising records," from C. Research and Associates. Do you realize what a let down that is? Enough is enough people. Stop dashing my dreams and breaking my heart. Yesterday, through my tears and disappointment I found my way to the "Unsubscribe" link and a very polite box popped up, informing me I would no longer receive emails from the sender. Finally, the disappointment would be over.

Or so I thought. This morning I opened my mail box, saw I had 3 new emails, got excited, and there it was; "Email and text marketing of the future," from C. Research and Associates. Can you hear it? The sound of my heart breaking? Again, I clicked the "Unsubscribe" link and what did the polite box say this time?

Lies, lies, dirty lies. That is what the box said. I don't know how much more of this my emotions can take...

4 comments:

Andhari said...

Ahhh you remind me of my inbox filled with these types of email. I'm tired deleting one by one each day :P

Anonymous said...

Don't you know you should never unsubscribe those things? Now the bots know where you live! You should ask someone in IT how to set up a mail rule. Then you can go back to having real people love you. Unlike at my work, where half of my email is automated notifications. At least the machines love me...

Anonymous said...

OK, clearly I need to e-mail you more overpriced bracelet links to create balance.

Cathryn said...

I once tried to unsubscribe from a spam list one time. It backfired. I received ten times as many e-mails from the spammers, because they knew someone was actually opening their mail.

I don't use that e-mail account any more.

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.