Recent Posts

10.06.2008

Published in stone

Alright, last time I'll write about the Everyday Sidwalk project! Here is the link to the pictures from the book release etc.
It was a perfect day, full of sunshine and praise. My parents couldn't have been prouder, I got to meet the other poets, and even the mayor of St. Paul was in attendance. Someone asked me if the experience has made me feel more legitimate as a writer. Without pausing to think I said, "No, not at all." I have been writing for as long as I can remember. In my closets are boxes stuffed full with old writing books, from the Secret Garden locked journal I got in second grade to the smooth, black moleskin notebooks I use now. Writing is how I process, observe, and remember everything, nothing, and the stuff inbetween. I will always write even if another word of mine is never published, so as good as it feels to have my silly little peanut butter poem acknowledged, it doesn't make me feel more like a writer. Writing does.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Congrats! That is awesome!!!

El Vato Suave said...

Me, on the other hand... I don't write to process. Instead, I come up with "Jonas Drawings."

JMW

Cal said...

Thanks, Anne!
Jonas...I miss "Jonas Drawings." Think some could make their way up here to MN?

Sharon S said...

Yaay-good for you, very well done indeed!

Cathryn said...

Caley, this is AMAZING! Where is your stone? I want to see it.

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.