Recent Posts

9.26.2008

Non-traditional Retreats

There are certain places I go when I just need a little pick-me-up. Last night when I told my sister I was feeling a little lonely she said, "Maybe you should go to Walgreens and wander the aisles." Either I've gotten really predictable or she knows me way to well.
A round up of my random retreat places:
Retreat #1: Half Price Books. I love the smell of books that have already been read and when I am surrounded by words it feels ok to just be silent.
Retreat #2: Hardware stores with paint sections. Ok this might sound shady, but flipping through the little tabs of color chips always calms me down. I love the almost chalky texture of the paper they use and reading the names, "Tuscan beige, Suede, Poolside Blue, Cotton bloom."
Retreat #3: Walgreens. The current favorite.
First I browse the beauty section. Something about the rows of nailpolish always makes me want to sit down on the ground to scan the reds, yellows, purples. I pick up random glass bottles to test tiny little blips on my thumbs.
Next comes hair products. I think I have smelled almost every shampoo and conditioner that Walgreens carries. Just be careful because if you squeeze the bottles too hard to get the smell out, you might get a little of it on your nose. Not like I've ever done that.
After that: the empty travel bottles. Opaque sherbert colored bottles just waiting to be filled up with anything you want. The possibilities!
Then I loop around the back of the store, ending up in first aid section. I stop to play with Nexacare products, the superheroes of the bandaid section (not to be confused with bandaids that actually have superheroes on them). Heating packs are always a good time--some of them even have cool patterned covers.
Heading back to the front, I swing through office supplies to drool over multicolor packs of Sharpies and fresh packs of paper. Then it's time to slip into the candy aisle for a pack of mint Ghiradelli squares.
The check-out area is also a trove of goodies; last minute magazines, sweet droopy roses (Only $3.99 a stem!), and ever shrinking mints in fancy tins.
I don't even need to buy anything. Just being there under the flourescent lights, exploring the aisles, makes me feel a little better. I have no idea why.

5 comments:

Cal said...

So a non-blog reading co-worker and I just discussed whether or not the paint sample thing makes me weird and her response was:
"I think it's great. They represent the possibilities...the future! It's aspirational! Just like when I go shopping and think, 'This outfit would be perfect for a clambake,' and then I buy it. See the possibilities, people."
She totally gets me.

Sharon S said...

Hi there-I had 'me' time thrifting today, I did spend money though-you were good!!

kleinwort said...

Oh, good! 'Cause the paint chip browsing resonated with me. I find myself making excuses to go to the hardware store when I'm in a funk.

Libraries have been a favorite mood lifter since I was a kid. But they fun has dulled now that the 'brarians seem to be much more efficient at culling out obscure old gems from the shelves... used to love finding books that no one had checked out in years and years and wondering who had read them and why. Strangely, I've never visited a used book store. Sounds like a great stop on a grey winter day! Thanks!

No Wallgreens near me. ;-) But, when I have a reason to be there, I do find myself hanging out in the eyeshadow section of my local drug mart. I (almost) never buy, but I see the matte and shimmer and, in my mind's eye, myself mysterious and sexy.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is: anyone who doesn't appreciate the smell of a library, is no friend of mine.

Cal said...

I agree with kleinwort and confusador--libraries are pretty amazing too. Good call, friends :)

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.