Recent Posts

9.24.2008

'ickity split interview

No, I didn't forget the "L," I meant to say 'ickity. Last night on my way home from work the cold that is going around hit me so hard that I ended up going through an entire box of kleenex in one night. I got the 'ick. Of course, this was right after a reporter from MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) called and asked if he could interview me about my poem and the Everyday Sidewalk project. OF course. It's hard to say which was greater: my excitement or my fear of sounding like my nose had been cut off on national radio. Yes, you heard me right, national. The story is for a show called "Weekend America" which is nationally syndicated and runs throughout the country. Right now it looks like it will be aired on Saturday, October 4th to coincide with the release party for the book.
Turns out my fears were unfounded and the reporter said my voice sounded great. We did the interview standing over one of the stampings of my poem, which happens to be almost within walking distance of my house, in front of the St. Mark's parking lot. (Sidenote: Yes, MJI, the St. Mark's behind your apartment where you go to church every Sunday. Let me know when you go check it out.)
Overall it was a very overwhelming experience and totally tuckered me out. Or maybe that's the combination of the 'ick and my anti-'ick medicines. Either way, I'm going back to bed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took the trip across the street as soon as I got home from work. It took a bit longer than expected since it turns out there are a half dozen of them over there. I love that the effect is to have them scattered around the elementary school playground. If you went over mid-day you could get a photo of the kids in their uniforms jumping rope on the poems.

Sidenote, since a) I'm still kicking myself for missing Nativity's fair last weekend and b) I know at least one person reading this cares: St Mark's Fall Rummage Sale is this weekend. From the stream of people in and out today, it looks promising (as always).

El Vato Suave said...

Unfortunately, St. Mark' rummage sale has lost a lot of importance to me. I hope I wasn't your one person. ;-)

Ok, I know I'm not, but it's still fun.
JMW

kleinwort said...

Feel better soon! If misery loves company, I'm workin' on my annual, just in time for the audit ick (OF course - during our busiest season).

Hope to hear you on the 4th!

Sharon S said...

Hi there-congrats on the interview and hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

HOW EXCITING IS THAT?! Alex and I are a little bit addicted to 91.1... unfortunately, I'll be out of town this weekend, so I don't think I'll be able to catch it live.

Congrats on an awesome chain of events, spurred by a lovely little sidewalk poem.

Hope you feel happy and proud, Cal!

Cal said...

MJI: glad you got to see it...i could have given more specific directions, sorry!
JMW: you can come with me if you'd like. how are flights from texas these days?
kleinwort: sounds like you're miserable in a totally different way, not sure i would want to trade...
sharon: thanks! the interview will be posted online, too, so even you can hear it from across the pond!
kala: i am VERY proud. when your schedule is less crazy we'll have to grab a coffee and go hunt a few of my poems down. also, the interview is NEXT weekend not this weekend :) you two would be addicted...i love it.

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.