Recent Posts

9.08.2009

California is too far away.

I left my parent's house after saying goodbye to Sister, drove home crying all the way, and plopped down on my couch. My house hasn't felt that empty in a long time; I texted her and said, "Miss you already."

Her response came back within seconds, "Miss you too. Come back over." I looked at my phone, checked the clock, read her message again. Already bedtime. But I just needed a little while longer with her so I grabbed my purse and ran out to the car. Halfway to my parents' house I realized I was barefoot.

When my headlights filled the living room windows and she saw me in the driveway she shook her head at me. "I didn't think you would really come back!" How could I not? An extra hour or two was worth having to say goodbye again. We didn't do anything special, just drank some orange juice and worked on a puzzle, but it was my favorite time of the whole weekend.

OJ makes the baby happy and I got to feel him kick for the first time. Sitting next to her belly I talked to my nephew and every time I paused he pushed on my hands. With midnight inching closer I had to leave, again, and before I made it out the door I was back to missing her. But during this drive home I had the feel the baby's flutters on my hands and Katie's extra hugs to make it a little easier to see the road through the tears.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Sidenote by Sidenote Cal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.sidenotecal.com.